Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “O son of Adam! As long as you invoke Me and plead to Me….”

< to all my brothers n sisters in Islam>

Anas (radhiallahu anhu) said that he heard the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) say: “Allah the Exalted said: “O son of Adam! As long as you invoke Me and plead to Me, I will forgive you whatever you have committed, and I will not make much of it. O son of Adam! If your evil deeds reach the borders of the sky, and then you ask Me for forgiveness, I will forgive you. O son of Adam! If you bring forth the earth full of errors, then you meet Me while you do not associate anything (or anyone) with Me, I will bring forth for you its full of forgiveness.” [At-Tirmidhee (Shaikh Albanee rendered it as Hasan)]

The status of the Hadeeth

This Hadeeth demonstrates the necessity and the high status of at-Tawheed (worshiping Allah). It also demonstrates the great rewards for those who believe. This Hadeeth encourages seeking Allah's forgiveness and returning to Allah, the Exalted and Ever High, in repentance.

Allah, the Exalted said: “O son of Adam!”

Adam is the father of mankind. He was an honorable Prophet whom Allah chose, as He says: “Allah chose Adam, Nuh, the family of Ibrahim and the family of Imran above the Alamin (mankind and Jinn) (of their times). Offspring, one of the other, and Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.” [Soorah Imraan (3): 33]

Allah has created Adam with His Own Hands and then blew life into him. Allah then commanded the angels to bow down and prostrate before Adam (alaihi as-salaam), and they all adhered to this command, as was confirmed in the Qur'an and the Sunnah. Allah taught Adam (alaihi as-salaam) the names of everything: “And He taught Adam all the names (of everything), then He showed them to the angels and said: “Tell Me the names of these if you are truthful.” [Soorah Baqarah (2): 31]

In addition, Allah mentioned Adam's story and his encounter with Shaitaan, and how Shaitaan whispered to Adam and lured him to disobey Allah. Shaitaan first came to Adam (alaihi as-salaam) using cunning and fake sincerity, saying to Adam and Eve, as mentioned in the Qur'an: “Then Shaitaan whispered suggestions to them both in order to uncover that which was hidden from them of their private parts; he said: “Your Lord did not forbid you this tree save you should become angels or become of the immortals.” And he (Shaitaan) swore by Allah to them both.” [Soorah al-A'raf (7): 20-21]

Thus, Shaitaan swore that he was sincere and truthful. Allah stated in another verse: “Then Shaitaan whispered to him saying: “O Adam! Shall I lead you to the Tree of Eternity and to a kingdom that will never waste away?” [Soorah Ta-Ha (20): 120]

Such are the tools that Shaitaan uses to mislead mankind and to guide them away from Allah's Path. Shaitaan depends on people's weaknesses until he directs them to fall into the disobedience of Allah. When they fall in disobedience, Shaitaan says, as Allah stated: “And Shaitaan will say when the matter has been decided, “Verily, Allah promised you a promise of truth. And I too promised you, but I betrayed you. I had no authority over you except that I called you, so you responded to me. So blame me not, but blame yourselves. I cannot help you, nor can you help me. I deny your former act in associating me (Shaitaan) as a partner with Allah (by obeying me in the life of the world). Verily, there is a painful torment for the Thalimun (polytheist and wrong-doers, etc).” [Soorah Ibraheem (14): 22]

This is what Shaitaan will do on the Day of Resurrection. Therefore, the slave should be aware of Shaitaan's deceiving ways. Allah mentioned the story of Adam and Shaitaan, which teaches that when a slave commits a sin, he should go back to Allah in repentance, for He has a wide forgiveness, as the above mentioned Hadeeth demonstrates.

Adam and Eve went back to Allah in repentance, and Allah forgave them: “They said: “Our Lord! We have wronged ourselves. If You forgive us not, and bestow not upon us Your Mercy, we shall certainly be of the losers.” [(7): 23]

“Then his Lord chose him, and turned to him with forgiveness, and gave him guidance.” [(20): 122]
    Thus, this Hadeeth reminds mankind that they are Adam's offspring; it also reminds them of Adam's mistake and his going back to Allah in repentance, and Allah forgiving him. Furthermore, this hadeeth encourages mankind to seek Allah's forgiveness for their mistakes and errors

Achieving Allah's Forgiveness

Supplications - “As long as you invoke Me...

Du'aa in the Islamic Terminology entails invoking and pleading to Allah seeking the Khayr (everything that is good) from Him and seeking to fulfill the various needs to reach the sought goals and achievements.

Allah has commanded us to ask Him in supplication, He said in the Qur'an: “And your Lord said: 'Invoke Me, and I will respond to your (Du'aa). Verily, those who scorn My worship (i.e. do not supplicate to Me and do not believe in My Oneness) they will surely enter Hell in humiliation!” [(40): 60]

Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “Du'aa (supplication) is worship” (and then he recited the above verse). [Sunan Abu Dawood v.1, no.1474]

He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) also said: “He who does not ask Allah, Allah will be angry with him.” [At-Tirmidhee]

The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) encouraged the Muslims to always invoke Allah in supplications, he said: “No Muslim will perform a Du'aa that neither entails a sin, not cutting the relations of the womb, but Allah will give him (or her) one of three: He will either give him what he asks for sooner, or He will keep it for him for the Last Life, or He will avert harm that is equal in proportion from touching him.” They (the companions (radhiallahu anhu)) said: “We will then perform it much.” He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “Allah is even more (Gracious, Generous, Kind etc.).” [Al-Mishkat]

He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) also said: “Allah is shy and Most Gracious, He is shy that the slave raises his hands unto Him (in Du'aa) and then return them empty.” [Saheeh al-Jami]

From amongst the rules of supplication is an attentive heart that comprehends what he is saying and realizes Whom he is asking. The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “Ask Allah in Du'aa while certain of deliverance, and know that Allah does not accept Du’aa from an un-attentive, heedless heart.” [Saheeh al-Jami]

Also, while asking Du'aa one should insist and repeat the Du'aa. He should show meekness and poverty to Allah, for there is no helper or refuge except Allah, He Alone is forgiving: “And none can forgive sins but Allah.” [Soorah Imraan (3): 135]

Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “When one of you asks (Allah) in supplication, let him insist in Du'aa and let him not say: 'O Allah forgive me if you will.' For no one is able to force Allah.” [Sharah Muslim]

“…and plead to Me”

Pleading means to ask Allah’s forgiveness for one's sins and disobedience, hoping for Allah's Mercy along with abandoning sins. For example: when one falls into shortcomings, while having faith in Allah - he pleads to Allah to erase his mistakes.

Likewise, when one performs an act of obedience, he should hope for its acceptance and plead to Allah to accept it. As for he who indulges in sin and hopes for a pardon without quitting (the sin) and without feeling sorrow, he is in Ghurur (deceiving himself).

Anas (radhiallahu anhu) related that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) entered on a young man who was dying, and said to him: “How are you?” He said: “I hope in Allah and fear my errors!” the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “They (fear and hope) will not be combined in the slave's heart in this situation, but Allah will give him what he hopes for and will grant him safety from what he fears.” [At-Tirmidhee]

Many Ahadeeth contain Allah's Promises and Warnings, that arouse feelings of hope and fear. Abu Hurayrah (radhiallahu anhu) narrated: “I heard the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) say: “Allah has created the mercy, when He created it, a hundred parts, so He kept ninety-nine parts with Him and sent one part down (and spread it) between His creation. Hence, if the Kafir knew all what Allah has in Mercy, he will not feel hopeless in Paradise. And if the believer knew all what Allah has in punishment, he will never feel safe from the Fire.” [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

Thus, a Muslim should have both hope and fear from His Wrath, as Allah says: “And they hope for His Mercy and fear His Torment.” [Soorah Al-Isra (17): 57]

Hopelessness in Allah’s Mercy

Allah says: “And never give up hope of Allah's Mercy. Certainly no one despairs of Allah's Mercy, except the people who disbelieve.” [Soorah Yusuf (12): 87]

Al-Qurtubi commented on this verse: “This proves that Al-Qunut (despairing from Allah's Mercy) is among the major sins.”

Further, Allah says: “(Ibrahim (alaihi as-salaam) said: “And who despairs of the Mercy of his Lord except those who are astray?” [Soorah al-Hijr (15): 56]

And: “Say: “O My slaves who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah, verily Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.” [(39): 53]

“And whoever does evil or wrongs himself but afterwards seek Allah's forgiveness, he will find Allah Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” [Soorah an-Nisa (4): 110]

Therefore, no slave of Allah should feel despair or hopeless in Allah's Mercy. Al-Istagfar Regardless of the Enormity of the Mistakes

“O son of Adam! If your evil deeds reach the borders of the sky, and then you ask Me for forgiveness, I will forgive you”

Istagfar literally means covering a thing with that which will preserve its purity. The forgiveness from Allah for the slave means Allah's saving the slave from His Wrath. Istagfar also entails asking Allah for His forgiveness and to cover the slave's mistakes, erase them and protect him or her from their danger or bad consequences.

Allah commands Istagfar from His slaves in many of the Qur'aanic verses: He said: “And seek forgiveness of Allah. Verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most-Merciful.” [Soorah Muzammil (73): 20]

jazakallahu khairyn

Comment

Hadrat Anas Radi ALLAH Taala Anhu reported that the Messenger of Allah Peace And Blessings Be Upon Him has said, “Everything has a heart, and the heart of the Qur’an is Yasin. Allah records anyone who recites Yasin as having recited the Qur’an ten times.”
      [Sunan Tirmidhi, Vol 2, Page 116 - Sunan Daarimi, Vol 2, Page 336]

Comment

Working...
      X