View Full Version : 60 Kashmiris killed by Indian forces

08-29-2010, 06:46 PM
60 Kashmiris killed by Indian forces

60 demonstrators, including minors, have been killed by Indian police and security forces in Kashmir since June 11. A nine year old boy was beaten to death by the forces on his way to a local shop. Over 700 people have been injured.

The protests were sparked by the shooting of a Srinagar teenager, Tufail Ahmed Mattoo, on June 11 who was returning home from school.

Last Thursday, eight-year-old Milad Ahmad Dar died of the injuries received when he was shot by Indian CRP forces in Laizbal area of South Kashmir’s Islamabad town on August 14.
Protests are held daily despite brutal crackdown by the Indian police and paramilitary forces.
On August 19, at least a dozen people, including a teenage girl and a woman, were wounded in two separate incidents when police and paramilitary CRPF troopers opened fire on protesters at Anchar, Soura, and in uptown Barzulla. They were staging a peaceful demonstration.
The forces used teargas and opened fire while on the protestors.
Four of them were from one family and three had bullet injuries. They were shifted to SKIMS where doctors identified them as Habibullah Tiplo (bullet injury in shoulder), Fatima Begum (bullet in leg) and 19-year-old, Sumaira, who had a bullet injury in her chest.
Doctors said she was in a critical state and was on a ventilator in ICU.
Two youths, Meraj-ud-din and Muhammad Shafi both residents of Anchar—were beaten by the CRPF men after the protests.
In the evening, ahead of Iftaar (breaking of the fast), witnesses said a CRPF party opened fire on a group of youth who were sitting along the banks of a rivulet.
“There weren’t any protests or stone-pelting. It was all peaceful. But as soon as they left the area after day’s duty they opened fire on civilians,” eyewitnesses said.
Two persons sustained injuries and they were identified as Yasir Ahmad, 22, and Abdul Rahman, 40.
In Kupwara, 120 km north of Srinagar, dozens of people coming out of a mosque after prayers at 5.30 am reportedly got into an argument with security forces. How and why the argument ended in bloodshed is contested, but security forces shot at the crowd, killing Mudasir Ahmad Zargar, a young student.

British Prime Minister, David Cameron, was criticised for not mentioning the killing of Kashmiris during his visit to India. Pakistani Prime Minister, Yousuf Raza Gilani, said, “It would have been better if he had talked about the issue there [in Kashmir] and won the hearts of the Pakistanis,” Gilani told a gathering at Sargodha after Cameron criticised Pakistan by saying it was responsible for exporting terrorism.
Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh commenting on the killings in Kashmir, said,
“The cycle of violence must now come to an end. We must collectively ensure that no innocent life is lost again.” However, the killings still continue.

Indian Government is blaming Pakistan on the unrest. Indian Home Minister, P Chidambaram, speaking to Parliament during a debate on the protests, claimed: “Pakistan appears to have altered its strategy in influencing events in Jammu and Kashmir. It is possible that they believe that relying upon civilian unrest will pay them better dividends. But I am confident if we are able to win the hearts and minds of the people...those designs can be foiled.”

Jammu and Kashmir, a predominantly Muslim state, was given to India after the country was granted independence from Britain in 1947. It was partitioned the following year under the “Two Nation Theory” with a third of the state being returned to Pakistan, though both countries insist upon full ownership nearly sixty years later. An independence movement against India began in 1989.