View Full Version : Jammu & Kashmir: Yasin Malik’s kin succumbs, toll 96

09-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Jammu & Kashmir: Yasin Malik’s kin succumbs, toll 96

Srinagar, J & K, India, (GK NEWS NETWORK): The death toll in the ongoing Kashmir unrest mounted to 96 as another youth Yasir Rafiq Sheikh, cousin of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front chief, Muhammad Yasin Malik, succumbed to his injuries on late Wednesday night in a New Delhi hospital.

Meanwhile, at least 10 persons were injured in the alleged [Indian] CRPF firing on protesters in Sopur while a curfew continued in the Valley for the fifth day running without any relaxation.

Yasir, 28, was among the five youth injured in the police firing on a group of carom playing youth at Maisuma on August 30.
He had received multiple pellet injuries in his abdomen and was operated upon at SMHS hospital here. He was reffered to Apollo hospital in New Delhi a few days back.

“The body will be flown to Srinagar on Friday when the airline will resume services,” a close aide of Yasin Malik told Greater Kashmir.
Malik’s newphew, 18-year-old Ashfaq Ahmad was also injured in the police firing on that fateful day.

Meanwhile, summer capital remained under curfew today for fifth consecutive day on Thursday. People have been facing many hardships during the curfew all across the Valley.

However, a police spokesman said that locals in case of any emergency should contact the Station House Officers of their respective police stations.

Minor clashes broke out at Nund Reshi Colony in Bemina where protesters clashed with police before being chased away.

Police said a CRPF vehicle of 73 batallion turned turtle after driver lost control over the vehicle. He tried to same himself from the stones pelted by protetsers.


In North Kashmir’s Sopur town, at least eight persons were wounded when police and paramilitary CRPF troopers opened fire at a group of youth in the evening at Chankhan, witnesses said.

They said the injured were rushed to sub-district hospital in Sopur, wherefrom four were referred to SMHS hospital, Srinagar, where condition of one of the injured, Riyaz Ahmad, was stated to be critical.
Protests also broke out near Pathukha. Witnesses said troopers of army’s 52 RR opened fire to disperse the protesters injuring three of them. The protests were going on when the report was filed.

The town and its peripheries have been tense since Wednesday when a youth, Mudasir Ahmad Kanna, of Batapora, Sopur was killed when troopers of CRPF 176 Battalion opened fire on a group of protesters.

Earlier in the day, people defied curfew at Bomai, and staged protests. The forces dispersed them away by cane charging.

Protests broke out in Khanpora, Varmul where protesters pelted police and
CRPF with stones. Police said one cop was injured in the stone pelting.

Meanwhile, the forces continue to hinder the free movement of the essential service vehicles, especially ambulances.

A police statement issued said that curfew remained in force in Srinagar City, Budgam town, Choon, Mirgund-Budgam Road, ShiekhPora, Humhama, Nadir Gund via Gogo, Chadoora, Wathoora, Mochua, Kralpora, Galwanpora, Narkara, Ompora, Ganderbal, Kangan, Anantnag, Bijbehara, Kulgam town, Qoimoh, Pulwama Town, Shopian Town, Awantipora, Lethpora, Pampore, Tangmarg, Sopore Town, Kralpora, Trehgam, Kupwaran Town, Bandipora Town and Sumbal Town.

South Kashmir

Amid curfew and shoot at sight orders in all the district headquarters and other major towns of south Kashmir , pro-freedom protests and violent clashes erupted at many places of the region while a teenager who jumped into the river Jehlum while being chased away by the forces on Monday continues to be missing. At least 40 people were injured across the region after the police and CRPF men opened fire and resorted to baton charge and tear gas shelling. Dozens of youth and elderly people were detained by the police in night long raids in Pampore which had witnessed violent clashes on Wednesday.


Uneasy calm prevailed in Islamabad town today as the authorities continued to cage the people inside their houses for the fifth consecutive day with out any relaxation. Hundreds of force personnel were deployed in the streets of the town to curb the movement of the people.

However, later in the evening when the deployment was reduced youth in many localities of the town took to roads streets and clashed with the police who retaliated by lobbing teargas canisters and baton charge to disperse the stone pelting youth.

Eyewitnesses said that after the restriction were reduced, the youth at many places like Batengoo, Khanabal Laizbal, Lal Chowk and old town areas took to roads and resorted to heavy stone pelting at forces. The forces lobbed numerous teargas shells on the stone throwing youth to quell them.

Eight people were injured three of them critically when the CRPF men resorted to intense baton charge, tear gas shelling and aerial firing in Krangsoo area of K.P road late in the evening. The critically injured persons who were identified as Abid Mir, Javaid Hajam and Zahid Ganai were hospitalized in district hospital, Islamabad.

Meanwhile, a 14 year old boy Raju Nath of Nathpora, Khanabal who drowned in Jehlum on Monday while being chased away during the clashes continued to be missing. Though the authorities on Tuesday engaged the Navy people for the search operation but the locals said they too have not been able to fish out his body. Clashes also erupted in Bijbehara town late in the evening.

In Sangam several people were injured in the clashes between the forces and the protesters.


At least a ten people were wounded in Chawalgam area of the district after the forces and resorted to intense teargas shelling on the people who were staging pro-freedom demonstrations. Clashes also erupted in Kulgam and Kaimoh towns late in the evening which remained under strict curfew during day.

Pulwama/ Pampore

In Pulwama town a strict curfew was in place. However, clashes erupted in the peripheral region like Chatipora, Machpoora, Padhgampora and Preechoo . The forces resorted to intense baton charge and tear gas shelling injuring about eight protesters. Massive pro-freedom demonstrations also rocked Kakapora and Samboora areas. While reports of clashes were received from these areas late in the evening.

Protests in Awantipora, Tral

Several people were injured in the clashes Kadalbal, Nambalbal, Drangabal and Fristibal in Pampore Township. The CRPF and police then went on a rampage and barged into houses. Dozens of youth and elderly persons were rounded up by the police during the over night raids after the police and CRPF persons in civvies on Wednesday evening were beaten up by the people and their two motorbikes set ablaze.


Though the Shopian town remained under the strict curfew, massive protests and violent clashes broke out between forces and protestors in the peripheries of the town in Shermal, Haal and Gaagran. At least 10 people were injured some of them critically after the forces resorted to intense tear smoke shelling on them. Clashes also broke late in the evening in the town.

Police version

”The day passed off peacefully throughout the valley barring a couple of incidents of stone pelting in which a policeman was injured at Khanpora Baramulla (Varmul). At PothKhah and ChanKhan areas of Sopur, miscreants resorted to heavy stone pelting on forces when they were withdrawing from the areas after day long deployment. In the retaliatory action seven persons were reportedly injured,” a police spokesman said. |

“A CRPF Vehicle of 73 Bn, turned Turtle near Nund Resh Colony Bemina, during a stone pelting action. At Bomai Sopur, miscreants pelted stones on security forces deployments, who were chased away,” he added.