View Full Version : Jammu & Kashmir: Youth injured in Baramulla firing

11-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Jammu & Kashmir: Youth injured in Baramulla firing

Srinagar, J & K, India, (Greater Kashmir): Normal life resumed in the entire valley on Tuesday after three days of strike even as clashes broke out in north Kashmir�s Baramulla town against the arrest of a youth. One youth was injured in police firing on protestors.

Clashes broke out in Baramulla against the arrest of a youth.

Eyewitnesses said the situation took an ugly turn when people blocked the road and pelted stones on police and paramilitary CRPF near Cement Bridge.
They identified the detained person as Pervez Ahmad Kaloo, a resident of cement bridge Baramulla.

�Early morning the police donned in civvies arrested him near the local hospital. And later they whisked him away,� an eyewitness said.

Soon after his arrest, people took to roads and demanded his release. They blocked the road and started pelting stones on police. The police swung into action and fired tear gas shells and opened fire on the protestors in which a person got injured.

The injured has been identified as Bilal Ahmad Bhat son of Ghulam Rasool resident of Zainakadal, Srinagar. Bhat is a shawl vendor. He was rushed to Baramulla district hospital from where he was shifted to SKIMS Srinagar.

Medical Superintendent SKIMS, Syed Tabish, said Bilal has received a bullet injury in his buttock. �The adjacent pelvic bone is also injured,� he said. �We are operating upon him.� Kashmir Valley has been in the grip of protests, strikes and curfew since June when a 17-year-old boy was killed by a tear smoke shell fired by police in Rajouri Kadal area of the city.

A police spokesman said two people including a cop and a youth were injured during the violent incident at Baramulla. �In the afternoon some miscreants surfaced at cement bridge Baramulla and attempted to disrupt peace by resorting to heavy stone pelting on police. They also blocked the main road leading to Baramulla,� the spokesman said.

He said there were no curfew restrictions across Kashmir valley on Tuesday.

Elsewhere in the valley, as the morning broke, the markets were abuzz with activity. Shops, business establishments, offices, banks and other institutions opened. Public and private transport also plied on the roads. The traffic rush created trouble for people as roads remained jammed at major junctions of Srinagar city throughout the day.

The life has come to normal after Hurriyat (G) had asked people to observe �civil curfew� for 3 days (Nov 6-8) to draw the attention of the US President Barack Obama towards Kashmir issue during his India visit.

Similar reports of people resuming their normal activities were received from different districts of Kashmir valley.