Six days of the month of Shawwal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six days of the month of Shawwal

Fasting in general and voluntary fasting in particular is a great worship at all times. Fasting is not restricted to Ramadaan, it is an act of worship that can be [and should be in some cases] performed at any time and at any place except when not recommended. Indeed, it is a worship that draws the believer closer to Allaah and closer to perfection.

Six days of the month of Shawwal:

Abu Ayyoub reported that the Messenger of Allaah, salla Allaahu alaihi wa sallam said :
    "Whoever fasts the month of Ramadhan and then follows it by fasting six days during the month of Shawwaal will be rewarded as if he had fasted the entire year."
    [Related by Muslim, at-Tirmithi, Ibn Majah, Abu Dawood and Ahmad by way of Jabir].

These days can be anytime during the month of Shawwal except the first day because it is unlawful to fast the day of Eid. These days do not have to be at beginning of the month nor do they have to be consecutive. Hence, Muslims should seize this opportunity and fast these six days to get Allaah's reward.

Why does the fasting of six days of Shawaal after Ramadaan equate to that of the whole year ? Some `Ulamaa' explain this from the fact that the good deed is rewarded ten times. Thus fasting six days is like fasting 60 days, added to 30 days of Ramadhan times 10 (i.e. 300) it makes it a year (360 days).

Allaah `azza wa jall, says in the Qur’aan, what means: "Say (O Muhammad): ‘If you (really) love Allaah then follow me, Allaah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [al-Qur’aan, 3:31]

This is a beautiful verse, named by some of the salaf as "the verse of the test", as it tests how true one’s love of Allaah is. They explained that if one loves Allaah, then he must show that in his/her following of the Prophet Muhammad, sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam. The verse tells us that those who follow the Prophet, sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam, if sincere, can in shaa’ Allaah expect the following two:

- Allaah ta`aalaa loving them

- Allaah ta`aalaa forgiving their sins.

One of the ways to manifest our loving of Allaah, by following the Prophet, sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam, is to do those acts that he, sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam, advised his Companions, and the Ummah in general, to do. A sunnah which is certainly relevant to us in these days is his, sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam, practice to fast six days in the month of Shawwaal.
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, Help me to remember that, your love is greater than my disappointments & your plans For my life are better than my dreams..

Working...
X