RESPECT THAT SHOULD BE ACCORDED WHEN RECITINGTHE DUROOD SHAREEF Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) said: "Without doubt, there is an Angel of Almighty Allah whom Allah has given power to listen to the voices of all the people. Whenever any person reads the Durood Shareef, this Angel delivers the Durood Shareef to me. I then plead to Almighty Allah for the person to receive ten blessings for reading a single Durood Shareef". (Jami'us Sagheer).
How should one recite the Durood Shareef?
What should be the persons condition and the conditions of his environment? The following points should be taken into account when reciting Durood Shareef:
1. It should be read with utmost humility and respect.
2. The clothes of the reciter should be clean and free from all impurity.
3. The place where the Durood Shareef is to be read should be clean.
4. It is more superior to be in a state of Wudhu while reciting the Durood Shareef. (Not a must, can be recited without Wuduh [Islamic Academy] )
5. It is better to sit in the Tashahudd position as you would sit when in Salaah and recite the Durood Shareef with concentration and the respect due to it.
6. It is preferable to face Madinatul Munawwarah.
7. If possible, one should have sweet fragrance around the place.
8. The reciter should try and understand the meaning of the Durood Shareef.
9. One should possess a clean and untainted intention. One should read with the sole intention of pleasing Almighty Allah and Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim).
10. The person should not be involved in worldly talks.
11. A person should try his level best to follow the example or Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim).
12. When reading Durood Shareef, you should try and imagine that you are sitting in the august presence of Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim). Utmost respect and reverence should be displayed.
13. Whenever one hears or recites the Durood Shareef, it should be read and written in full. It is also preferable to kiss one's thumb and rub them over one's eyes when hearing the name of the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim). It's a Sunnah of Hazrat Abu Bakr Siddique (Radiallah Tala Anhu).
14. When the reading of the Durood Shareef is completed one should praise Allah Ta'ala that he has given you the opportunity of reading such a great Zikr as the Durood Shareef.
15. Whenever one takes the name of the Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim), one should use titles of respect and reverence.
16. As an advantage one should count (if possible) on one's fingers as Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Sallal Laahu Alaihi Wasallim) often encouraged this practice because on the Day of Qiyamah those same fingers will bear witness at the time when they are questioned.
17. Recite Durood Shareef wherever you are (not in the bathroom or toilet) and during any occasion.
Islamic Academy Note: Above are mostly Mustihibaats. If above conditions cannot be met please do not let them stop you from reciting Durood Shraif. One should recite Durood Sharif whenever possible but avoid places like restrooms, toilets and bathrooms.
Hadrat Anas Radi ALLAH Taala Anhu reported that the Messenger of Allah Peace And Blessings Be Upon Him has said, “Everything has a heart, and the heart of the Qur’an is Yasin. Allah records anyone who recites Yasin as having recited the Qur’an ten times.”
[Sunan Tirmidhi, Vol 2, Page 116 - Sunan Daarimi, Vol 2, Page 336]